Because when you are going on summer holidays, your wardrobe should have all the flair you request from your travel destination.
Here is what to pack:
1. Two glamour dresses, because one would not do justice to the situation. Wear it with wedge heels for dinner with friends at that wonderful little restaurant at the seaside, when the sun sets and you have fresh fish and white wine. Wear it with flat sandals for a drink with Hubby, because he wears his white linen suit, but he is vain enough as it is and should not get all the compliments alone. Barefoot at the beach, when the hem soaks in the sea, but you don´t mind because they are vintage and a bit of patina just adds to the beauty.
If you are a hopeless romantic like me, buy your wedges at Castaner, who did espadrilles wedges for Yves Saint Laurent back in Yves´ heydays. Sandals should look as if you bought them in a tiny medieval village in the South of France where they were made to measure by the local cobbler. Which is where I bought mine about ten years ago. Ancient Greek Sandals would be another great choice.
2. Elevate the classic t-shirt-and-jeans combo by going for wide-legged bellbottoms and a dirndl blouse for maximum allure.
3. A vintage lurex knit counts as a basic. Wear with jeans shorts, a long seventies skirt, black silk Balenciaga dungarees you bought some years ago on e-bay, or just bikini bottoms because it looks so good in the sun.. Near a pool.
4. Everyone needs pleated pajama pants. Comfortable but glamorous. I bought mine at H&M and apologize profoundly for that. Vintage Issey Miyake Pleats Please would be so much better. Or you wait for the Femme Maison A/W 2018 collection. Pleated silk, matching tunics, in black, soft gold and even - gasp! - silver lurex! A classic marinière is mandatory. And I mean classic. Originals only, please. You can even order them online. Throw in a white sailor hat while you are at it. So chic!
5. You can´t take too many djellaba and caftan dresses.
6. The Boy Scouts Shirt. Wear with a simple gold pendant for feminine allure. Vintage Elsa Peretti is best.
7. Thin cotton nightdresses. For breakfast on the terrace. Under the fig tree. Romantic. Sigh..
What else? Bikinis and bathing suits, the more the better.. A beautiful straw bag that turns into a straw basket because of strategically placed slits in the brim. And while you are shopping for that at Natures Of Conflict, check out their other not-so-basic basics, too.